Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lydia Sum Din-Ha (1948- 2008)



Known as "Happy Fruit" to the audience, one of HK and TVB's entertainment icons, Lydia Sum Din-Ha passed away on February 19, 2008 from cancer. I first read the news from TVBMusing. I was surprised, yet I also remembered how thin and weak she looked at the TVB Anniversary Awards last year. I am not a big fan of hers, but her death saddens me since I grew up watching TVB, and it was inevitable to see her on television every year hosting a variety of programs including charity shows, appearances on game shows, interview programmes, and of course the TVB Anniversary. I still remember her in 2004's hilarious War & Beauty skit, in which she plays Yuk Ying. She was very hilarious.

In a city which fears fat, and despite her weight always being the topic for jokes, she was always strong enough to not let it bother her. TVB variety programmes are not going to be the same without Lydia's laugh and presence. Brave and outspoken, her dedication to the HK entertainment and determination to make people laugh will forever be remember. Rest in peace, Lydia.

No comments: