Saturday, November 22, 2008

TVB 41st Anniversary Awards 2008



The Beginning

The beginning shows various stars showing up on the red carpet in antique cars. Then the stars were introduced by pairs or groups and came out onto the stage to give a little comment. I particularly like the actresses and actors that said their comments while being in character or referring to it. My favorite comments were Wayne’s and Michelle Yim’s. Wayne was saying that every year he gets nominated, every year he eats “white fruit” (kind of like canto slang meaning he gets nothing), so everyone, remember that he is “white fruit king” and Michelle Yim saying “Husband, I don’t mind sharing, but talking about Best Actress...”and doing her Hung Yee’s hand gesture, finishes by saying “it must not be shared”. The introduction was a nice ice-breaker and kind of funny at times, while the artistes got to stand out a little bit and distinguish themselves so I enjoyed it.

Most Modern, Stylish Award

The first award to be passed out was the most stylish award. Magazine covers of all the nominated artistes were flashed out one by one, and the way it was done was pretty cool and the magazine covers were nice to look at…very starry lol. I thought Bernice would be the best candidate to win because her tastes in clothes are always very on target and always very elegant or sexy. However, I think Myolie may have been in more of a variety of outfits from daring to bold this year, so perhaps she does deserve it. I never think Myolie is pretty when she is on-screen, but she does look very nice in magazine covers or at awards though. Anyway, she looks ‘handsome’ in the suit! At least Bernice didn’t come, or else she would’ve been a little embarrassed since she is always well known for her style and look.

The cameraman is so off guard at times. After this award, Amigo Chui was asking Chau Chung ( the Grandpa from Moonlight Resonance) who he thinks would win Most Improved female, and he said Tavia Yeung, but the camera focused on Toby instead, but then he later he did say Toby…so I guess the cameramen could read minds.

Athena Chu & Francis Ng – Presenters

I was so shocked that Francis came as a presenter. Partly because I thought that after Triumph in the Skies, he and TVB were not on friendly terms, and partly because I just finished watching On the Edge, and he was all kinds of awesome in that serie, so I was like..ah…it’s Francis!! It’s funny when Athena asked Francis at what part in time he thinks he would win for the Most improved, and he said of course, after he left TVB, and then he was referencing how a bird can get tired so once in a while, he comes back to film some series like Old Time Buddy and how TVB let him fly up to the highest, letting him Triumph in the Skies….and everyone was clapping afterwards lol….and Athena also says briefly, “then I will see when I will triumph in the skies.” Last year, Ray and Kathy Chow came back as presenters, and Kathy has already acted for E.N.I (or whatever they call the third part of The Academy) with Ron and Sammul, and now Ray Lui is going to film the grand serie with Gallen. It seems that Athena and Francis are expressing some interest in filming for TVB again, so I REALLY, REALLY hope to see Francis jump on board again and film a new modern drama. Come on TVB, ask Francis to come on board again!

Most Improved Male

Wong Jo Lam won this. I think this is the only award that I am kind of disappointed with even though I haven’t watch his performance that much. I thought Derek Kwok did a great job in D.I.E. , and he also seem to have a different role in War-of-in-Laws too and along with Joyce Tang, he has made some headlines, so I was kind of expecting him to win. I was rooting for Johnson Lee personally since I think he’s such a funny guy, but yet he can be very convincing when serious in Catch Me Now. As for Wong Jo Lam, I personally think he kind of tries a little too hard to be funny, and at times, it can buy a chuckle or two, so I don’t really get all this hype about him.

Most Improved Female

Personally, I was rooting for Selena Li because she is one of my favorite younger actresses and I like her characters in most of her series, but Nancy Wu has always been a capable actress to me, so I think it was well-deserved. Her performance as the Fourth wife in The Silver Chamber of Sorrows was well-performed indeed. I especially like how Nancy mentioned Triumph in the Skies and her role in Silver Chambers of Sorrow. It’s always nice to hear when stars mention about when they first started in their acceptance speech because it shows how hard and long they have worked. In Nancy’s case, she really had to ride it out a couple of years. The dance competition really help propelled her up into the spotlight. However, does anyone feel like she’s not really surprise of winning? Her speech seems really good but a little rehearsed.

Best Blog

Raymond Lam wins this award. Considering he is so popular, of course it would rest safely in his hands. ^_^ His speech was a little brief, but I guess with the blog, maybe he didn’t feel like he should take too much credit for it? I think I only visited his blog like once…I will definitely visit again.

I’m gonna skip the variety shows awards. I’m not really into those shows.

Eric Tsang, Wong Jo Lam, and Louis Yuen -Presenters

First thing Eric says when he comes out, he tells Carol Cheng that his English is very good, don’t say his English is poor. And Carol was like “So?” Eric is hilarious, he was saying how it has been 11 years, and Super Trio has won every year, but since Louis and Wong Cho Lo became elders, there is no winning of an award. He even mentions how TVB has one award rule so that Wong Cho Lam won the Most Improved award so that’s why they can’t win it. Oh Eric Tsang, gotta hand it to him to make people laugh. I also love the bit he said about Charmaine, about how she is “great” (that it’s apparent that she was seen by [paparazzi], but she would say no, no and still wouldn’t admit it (her being seen with Ron or Kevin I guess lol) I hope I would be able to meet him one day or at least get an autograph lol. Anyone know where I can get his autograph??

My Favorite Female Character

Louise Li Si Kei won this award. She mentions a disappointment….that it’s a bit stressful to be nominated, so she asked the higher management if she could step out the race this year, but they said no. It was sort of a what the heck, why did she say that moment, but I think Louise is just being very honest and straight to the point about how she feels since she probably wants to get out of the competition so that others can have a chance. I think she’s just a humble lady that doesn’t really want to hog the spotlight, but it came out awkward.

Carol Cheng briefly interviews the nominees. I like the part in which she goes and tells Liza that not many people are rooting for her this year and what does she think? And Lisa’s response was “it’s not only me, I think everyone at the company thinks I’m not here” (which can mean exactly as it is said, but in this case, it can means she’s everyone is treating her like she’s not important” Carol then asks everyone if they think Liza Wang is “not here”, and everyone says no.

Dicky Cheung -Presenter

If I’m not wrong, Dicky was referring to ATV and TVB’s rivalry during his opening presentation since ATV is “Yau Han” company vs. TVB is “Mo Sin” company so he put it in a clever way saying to have (Cantonese =”Yau”) and not to have (Cantonese = “Mo”)so there is no need to be so stubborn. I think it’s not really a good time to talk about rivalry on an awards show because it is after all TVB’s moment to shine. Anyway, I don’t think Dicky meant to be rude, but I didn’t really appreciate it, it wasn’t the right timing. What does everyone think?

My Favorite Male Character

Raymond won this award, but Dicky was not there when Raymond was on stage. I thought he just left like that because he was having an attitude, but it turns out he was heading straight to Stephen Chan in the audience section. There was a brief moment showing Dicky going over to Stephen Chan, and Stephen Chan seems excited when he saw Dicky but yet his expression was like “oh no….get off the screen”.

Anyway, Raymond seems to be putting the focus back on TVB in his acceptance speech by saying he hopes HK audience continue to support TVB’s programs and even more television series , so that every year there can be more improvements. (Isn’t he so clever!) I like how he refers to his colleagues as his ‘brothers and sisters’….gives a very close feeling….but also not forgetting the veterans by saying he hopes to cooperate with more and learn more from them. Raymond just always knows what to say. Every year that he wins, I always enjoy his acceptance speeches. He’s a darling! I wonder what he would say when he wins Best Actor….and I just know that day would come soon! Keep working hard, Ray!

Carol & Amigo interviews the nominees a bit, and one part deserving a mention was that both Sharon and Nancy Wu had confidence in Tavia! That was a nice moment! The younger generation does seem very close with each other!

Anthony Wong – Presenter

Anthony Wong was joking about Eric Tsang, which caused Eric to be onscreen a bit in his casual clothing lol. I thought it was funny how he says the supporting artist should have good acting, but good enough acting that the main leads do not feel that you are a threat to them.

Best Supporting Actress

It is very sweet how before Tavia gives her acceptance speech, she asks everyone to give a great applause for Lee Heung Kum, who Tavia says is considered the best supporting actress to her. I like how she thanked all the producers that used her in their series, and that she would continue to do her best, and not be proud!

Tavia made ah Yuet a very real and likeable character. If it was played by someone else, perhaps ah Yuet wouldn’t be so real and likeable. Tavia totally deserves the award! Although, I would also give props to Fala. If Tavia’s character does not exist, Fala’s chance would be the highest as her character was also very likeable, and Fala did a nice job. Lee Heung Kam also did a great job too, but popularity-wise may not win that much points.

Karena Lam – Presenter

It’s interesting how Karena Lam relates best supporting to stealing or being a big thief. I don’t really get the concept. I think I agree more with Anthony Wong’s comment lol.

Best Supporting Male

Wayne got this one! Everyone stood up for him and cheered too! Truly wonderful to hear him thanked someone through all the wonderful characters he got to act such as the pig in Journey to The West (nice that Dicky was there too) and Hon Shun in The Conqueror’s Story (which was also one of his best acting). I actually have not watched The Gentle Crackdown II, so I don’t know how his performance is, but he probably did an exceptional job anyway as usual. It was a great moment to see that he finally got the award he deserves years ago.

Best Serie

Moonlight Resonance wins. It’s really a no-brainer. The serie has great characters, not in the sense that it has a great plot, nor great development, but in the sense that these characters add to the family element when put together and most characters were able to stand out in this serie through their ups and downs as they continue to touch or amaze the audience. There is the annoying and money-crazed auntie, the mute daughter and sister, the sort of rebellious adopted daughter, the somewhat wacky son, the filial and sweet son, the second wife villain, etc. And it does help that a majority of the actors and actresses playing them gave a convincing performance. And I actually liked the other phrases by Auntie Sa and Hung Yi more than “Do not be scared, Hor Ma is in the living room” like…. (in Mandarin) “I say you can [make it], then you can [make it]. I say you can not [make it], then you can not [make it]. I say you can [make it], and you can not [make it], you will still [make it]” or Michelle Yim’s phrase “[My] person is in heaven, the cash is in the bank, why do I need so much money”?

On a side note, it was kind of sad to see that Shirley Yeung didn’t get to stand up with the cast when all of them went up there. It’s understandable that she would not be included since she only has one or two scenes as guest star, but it can be disheartening in a way. I don’t think there would be a sequel though. It broke the 50 pts ratings, so if the next one doesn’t make it, it would bring the name down. They probably don’t want to risk it.

I think Catch Me Now deserves an honorable mention. If there was no Moonlight Resonance, this would be the next best serie. It was fast-paced and it was a fun storyline to watch which side would win….the cops or the robin - hood team. Characters are also engaging, but I guess there was some chemistry lacking between leads.

Moving on…getting tired lol…

Best Actress

My favorite win of the whole awards show is Michelle Yim’s Best Actress Award! Not only is it the most well-deserved Best Actress award in a LONG time, but she also broke the record for having a villain character won Best Actress (Gigi Lai doesn’t count from War & Beauty to me)! Michelle’s speech was very touching, especially how she talked briefly about her career and how she does her best in every role. That made me think about her character in “The Brink of Law” which was another great villain portrayal by her, but in that one, she was more reserved and calm, while in this one she was more loud and angered. Two villain roles, but yet clearly different portrayals. Simply a great, great actress! And it also sweet of her to remember her three assistants….which very few winners would thanked when they win. By the way, she looks so beautiful too. I bet that wig in Moonlight Resonance is to make her look older haha.

Best Actor

Ha Yu’s name is announced, and everyone stood up and gave a big applause. It was funny how Louise Li brought tissues up for him lol. He waited for 40 years for these two series. Ha Yu did do a great job in Moonlight Resonance, and he really touched me whenever he cried and went back to his children and Hor Ma. I’m glad he won because he totally deserves it out of all the male actors in Moonlight Resonance. It was inspiring how he mentioned how he was so depressed last year since whole the whole of Heart of Greed won awards, but he listened to Johnny To saying that as long as he continues on without leaving the entertainment circle, he will have a chance, so he didn’t leave, and now his opportunity for the award came. His ending remarks tied Moonlight Resonance and Heart of Greed together so I thought it was a good final note for his speech and a good representative of the end of the Heart of Greed series.

Have to say Roger also did a great job in Last One Standing, but it was too bad the serie did not do so well, which is as I think it should be. I think Last One Standing was good at times, but it failed to keep me interested as much as Moonlight Resonance.

Ending with Lifetime Achievement Award

Paul Chun wins this award. He mentioned that it is kind of afraid to win this award because he’s afraid having to be retired, but he emphasized that acting plays a big part to him, and that he will continue to act. He is certainly a consistent actor, and being a TVB actor for SO many years, any TVB fan would be familiar with his face. I am glad to see him win this award!


Final Thoughts

I believe the results were widely supported by many TVB fans, and those who knew the results were most likely satisfied. However, I think some things can be improved such as that every artiste that participated should be invited and come also, such as it was in the past. Although the awards were well-deserved this year, it just seems kind of empty without the familiar middle generation Siu Sung and Fa Dans? Where is Joe Ma, Bowie, Ada, Gigi Lai, Jessica, etc.? Another thing would be leaving us some suspense, don't narrow down the winners. In 2003, it was like Bobby, Kong Wong, Chilam, Roger, Francis Ng, and Bowie all together, and it was until the final moments when we know the real winner. The excitement was there, the competition was healthy. It should be like that. Hope that the 42nd anniversary would be more improved.

Seeing Ha Yu, Michelle Yim, Wayne, Tavia, and Nancy winning is like seeing hard work getting noticed since they have been in so many series, so many roles, and have never gotten popular and noticed and awarded until now. Hope that these winners are signs that TVB is beginning to cherish and appreciate the talented and strong great actors and actresses that they have, to promote potential when it is there, and to stop playing favoritism.

No comments: