Wednesday, January 09, 2008

TVB- the 3rd decade: 1987-1996

What has TVB given us in the third decade? TVB Weekly Issue 542 brings back a lot of nostalgic feelings as I reminisce about the past series it featured, not only of the series itself but also the simple and pleasant times of enjoying time with the family. I watched a lot of these series while I was a kid, so it brings back a lot of fond memories of just being a kid and not having to deal with problems and life. The years of being a kid is truly when entertainment is and can always be first on the list. The quality of many of the dramas in this decade is brought on by superb acting and great lessons about life and people which provided entertainment that is not only addicting but inspirational and thought provoking…..

In 1987, I noticed 生命之旅 (The Price of Growing Up) with Alex Man and Kathy Chow Hoi Mei. Alex Man and Francis Ng’s characters were orphans, but Francis Ng’s character got adopted by a rich man. Later on, it turns out that Alex Man is the real son of the rich man, so Francis Ng is afraid that he’ll take everything every from him. Not only that, but they were also rivals with love. Francis likes Kathy Chow Hoi Mei, but she likes Alex Man, who likes Carol Dodo Cheng at first, who I think discovered she had cancer or something so she married Kenneth Tsang instead. Personally I think Alex Man and Carol Dodo Cheng had more chemistry as a couple than Alex Man and Kathy Chow Hoi Mei but nonetheless they were a nice couple as well. Francis as a villain wasn’t too evil to the core I think, but he did a good job nonetheless. Stephen Chow is also in this one, but his role is quite serious and not funny at all. His character even had to limp for some time in the serie. To celebrate TVB’s 20th anniversary, 大運河 (The Grand Canal) was specially created. The comments below said that Tony and Lau Ching Wan’s acting made it seem like Kau Yim Hak and Lee Sai Man were still alive. I have not watched this grand production…come to think of it the only Tony Leung series I have watched was Police Cadet and The Rough Road even though he was known from other series more. 季節 The Seasons is a 389 episodes family series that is somewhat similar to Kindred Spirits of the 90’s. This is another serie I have watched as a young kid, and I briefly remember Ma Da, who was acted by Tang Bik Wan and the third auntie who was often hilarious (she was in The Charmed Beneath as Yoyo’s mom). I think I like watching Dai Dee and his wife ah yuk the most. Gallen Lo also has a part in this serie. Interesting tidbit I just noticed from the comment, the family’s name for the main family in this serie is Tong, which is the same family name for the family in Heart of Greed.

I don’t recognize a lot of series in 1988. The only serie I know was 誓不低頭 (The Final Verdict) but didn’t watch the whole thing. I remember there was a part in which Kenneth Tsang went mad and started killing all his relatives with a butcher knife. He almost killed his own son too, who was played by the young Gregory Lee (currently Shirley Yeung’s boyfriend) as a kid. Now I myself watched this as kid, so it scared the heck out of me, what with the freaky psycho music and all. I still get freaked out when I watched that scene later several years ago. This scene is in my opinion, one of TVB’s disturbing scenes made. It’s funny that HK audience these days complain about how some series have inappropriate or violent scenes. Boy, the HK housewives would probably have a field day if TVB made a scene like that nowadays. The thing is, was he really psychotic or did he really have an intent to kill them later? Whatever it is, it shocked the heck out of me to see him killed his relatives. After all, Chinese people tend to be closer with family and relatives.

義不容情 (Looking Back in Anger) was a huge hit in 1989. The comments mentioned that other than Danny Chan’s themesong and Dave Wong’s sub theme song becoming classic songs, it set off the trend of folding lucky stars. I once read from somewhere online that this serie was had ratings through the roof at the time and that people would rush home to watch it. I don’t know how accurate this is, but it is definitely a classic TVB serie. Many probably liked it because of the conflict between the characters, but I liked the serie because I liked watching the ‘chun ching’ (in my best interpretation as of now…familial closeness) and the loyalty, trust, and love between friends and lovers. I loved watching Carina and Felix together, and despite all the struggles, Felix went from rags to riches. Of course, Deric Wan was vicious as Ding You Hong. The thing is, there are probably many people like him in this world. They make mistakes, and rather than take responsibility, they dig a deeper hole to bury themselves into. Other than this serie, the 他來自江湖 (Justice of Life) with Alex Man and Stephen Chow was also another favorite of mine. One scene in the series that I always found quite sad and tragic was the death of Alex Man’s fiancé (played by Pauline Yeung who was a guest star) in the serie. Alex Man plays a triad member working for her dad. They were preparing to get married, and on the day they went to try on wedding attire or take wedding pictures, somehow she got killed taking a bullet for Alex I believe. Perhaps it was the first time I saw this idea of the bride dying while in her wedding dress but it was really sad from the way it was told. Stephen Chow and Cutie Mui played a really silly couple in here. I still remember their scene in which they were held hostage, and Stephen was like “if nobody wants you, I’ll take you.” hehe I noticed that whenever the male characters say that phrase, he usually has to get with the female character he said it too. I wonder if it works in real life….I should trick a guy I like to say that to me haha XD. Stephen Chow’s other serie for this year was 盖世豪侠 (The Final Combat) with Francis Ng playing the villain. Stephen and Jacqueline Law were very cute together. Another interesting tidbit is that these two once dated! I also recognize Leon Lai and Nnadia Chan’s 天涯歌女(The Song Bird) in the same year. My memory is failing me. I remember a scene or two of them on the rooftop, but the rest I forgot. Though as I look at pictures of young Leon, I think Ron sort of looks like him in some angles. Perhaps that is why everybody keeps on saying Ron is good looking haha.

Moving on to 1990, I see Derek Wan and Maggie Siu’s picture for 我本善良 (Blood of Good and Evil). I have heard many good praises for this serie, but I myself have not watched it. The comment mentioned that Deric’s character pushed Maggie’s character off a train. Did his character do that in this serie too? It was a classic scene in Looking Back in Anger, but is it also in this serie as well? I wonder if the writer messed up. 人在邊緣 (The Challenge of Life) was a favorite serie of mine from this year. I especially like how it the beginning started with the main characters as little kids, and not a brief scene either. It was two or three episodes with many scenes of the young kids growing up and all. Those kids were pretty good actors themselves too. I quite enjoyed watching Jacqueline and Leon’s relationship. It’s quite romantic since he whisked her away and saved her when they first meet. They’re cousins, but I don’t have a massive phobia against that relationship, probably due to me watching lots of TVB series since young and seeing cousins sometimes getting hitched. Frankie was quite manipulative in this serie. Another favorite of mine from this year is 孖仔孖心肝 (It Runs in the Family) with Stephen Chow and Sean Lau Ching Wan. This serie was hilarious, probably even more so than The Justice of Life. There are many jokes and comments said in this series that were very witty and funny between Stephen and Sean.

Two more series I watched growing up was 大家族 (Big Family) and 今生無悔 (The Breaking Point) from 1991. Big Family was another rags to riches story for Alex Man’s character and is probably the best representative for classic family dramas. One theme within the serie that I thought was interesting was that the rich family had genetic heart conditions and health conditions. Then we see the dad (Kenneth Tsang) going against his son (played by Alex Man). There is a lot of internal and physical struggles with the characters in this serie so there are quite a lot of scenes that makes you feel for the characters. I noticed Alex Man plays a rich guy in almost every serie he is in or associated with rich people at least. But when he does dress up to be a rich businessman, his looks are quite convincing. In reality, the last I read is that he is quite a successful businessman. As for The Breaking Point, I don’t quite remember the whole story, but I remember Deric played another villain. But I believe in this one, his character was an average guy before he went to jail and then when he came out, he worked to get the things he lost. One of his most evil scenes was that he tortured his god-father (Kwan Hoi San) by locking him up in the trunk and later physically abusing him. Another scene I remember was when his wife tried to kill him by baking him a cake, and later commit suicide. It was one of those kind of slow scenes in which you’re thinking…does he know? What’s going to happen? Leon Lai is also in this one, and I remember I quite like his relationship with Maggie Siu rather than Kathy Chow Hoi Mei. Yeah, I am not a big fan of Kathy’s until later years. Another serie from this year is 月兒彎彎照九州 (Beside the seaside, Beside the seaside). I only remember Ekin and Nnadia on the rooftop for many scenes, but don’t remember anything else.

I was surprised to learn that 大時代 (Greed of Man) was a 1992 serie. I have always thought it was shown in the late 1980s or so. I guess it is because the colors of this serie was not as colorful as other series then. The most memorable scenes have got to be all the people being forced down the buildings or jumping on their own, especially when Sean Lau’s family fell from the building right in front of him. Talk about traumatizing. Now, that I watched some of the clips again, the wiring is very, very noticeable. I was also rooting for Amy Kwok and Sean Lau, but it is too bad he chose Vivien Chow in the serie. Aaron Kwok’s series 風之刀 (Revolution of the last hero) was one ancient serie of this year. Frankie Lam and Ada Choi play villains in here. I remember I quite like Fennie and Aaron together, they were funny together. Noel Leung and Ada Choi were simply gorgeous in this serie. They look wonderful in ancient attire. 壹號皇庭 (Files of Justice I) was also shown in this year. Michael Tao and Bobby Au Yeung became ‘housewives killers’ (adored by housewives) after this serie. My memories fails me when it comes to FOJ I-III, the only one I can remember the most is FOJV and possibly FOJIV. This is the only serie in TVB history that has reached part V. The other ones that came close were DIFIV and ARIV. If I could make a guess, I would think this is the serie that began the "professional career" genre for series.

1993 showcased two series I know of 原振俠 (The Legendary Ranger) and 金牙大狀 (Man of Wisdom). For The Legendary Ranger, it is unique since it is sci-fi and TVB rarely touches that genre, and it is also well-known since it has a very popular and beautiful cast. However, I read many reviews that said the plot was really bad, but I do not know since I have not watched it. As for Man of Wisdom, I don’t remember it much, but I did remember that I enjoy watching it.

In 1994, 恨锁金瓶 (Gentle Reflections) is one of the serie highlights. Being one of my favorite series, I am glad to see that it was mentioned. I thought it was a good serie overall, and I adore Kenix’s portrayal of Ping Yee. There is also 笑看風雲 (Instinct) which stars Ekin and Nnadia playing a couple again, while Roger Kwok plays the villain. I love the themesong. The lyrics are meaningful, and the song is pretty soothing. 射鵰英雄傳 (Legend of Condor Heroes), Chilam and Athena’s version of Kwok Jing and Wong Yung was shown in this year’s Legend of Condor Heroes. This is the only version I watched, and I quite like how Kwok Jing is devoted to Wong Yung. I guess one of the reasons The Legend of Condor Heroes and Return of the Condor Heroes is because the devotion of love between the main characters were so strong and unbreakable. Despite conflicts after conflicts, they do their best to get back to each other.

Possibly the second greatest police series made after the Police Cadet in the 80s, 刑事偵緝檔案 I and II (Detective Investigations Series I and II) came to life in 1995. The comments below mentioned that these two series were made within a year and that Dai Yung and Jessie’s relationship was a conversation topic for audience over tea break. DIF I-III were good, but I think I like DIF II the most because I think the relationships and chemistry was strong. I even liked Amy and Michael’s pairing also. Other than that, who knew that 真情 (Kindred Spirits) which debut this year would have a total of 1, 128 episodes five years later? 神鵰俠侶 (Return of the Condor Heroes) with Louis Koo and Carmen Lee was also shown during this year. Many thought Carmen Lee was the perfect actress for Siu Long Nui. I don’t know whether she truly is or not since I have not read the novels, but I think Carmen Lee and Louis Koo was quite a good couple.

For 1996, the decade ends with three huge productions I know of and watched. Dicky Cheung’s first version of the ancient series, 西遊記 (Journey to the West) came to life this year. I’m not a big fan of the serie, but Dicky Cheung and Wayne Lai was great as the Monkey King and the Pig respectively. Modern family drama, 天地男兒 (Cold Blood Warm Heart) showcased a lot of young siu sangs and fa dans of the time. Of course, Gallen Lo plays the villain so successfully that I just want to throw something at the screen whenever he appeared in this serie. Good thing I don’t live in HK at the time, but since I probably watched this two years after it aired, I guess it would be a huge difference lol. I also enjoyed Chilam and Jessica's relationship in the serie. It was really cute, and I was quite angry when Jessica cheated on Chilam! The third production of the year is the 新上海灘 (Once Upon A Time In Shanghai). This version had a very, very popular cast with Sunny Chan, Nnadia Chan, Gordon Lam, and especially the veterans like Adam Cheng, Carol Dodo Cheng, and even Eric Tsang. It cannot be denied that the cast was definitely more popular than the cast of JTTW or CBWH of the same year put together, but alas, I think the latter two series were more popular and revered by TVB fans.

Many of the series from this decade had a certain focus on good and evil aspects of human beings….the villains versus the protagonists. And in doing so, the protagonist and villains work to triumph over each other, which keeps the audience watching. Looking at these older series, I have a sudden urge to go back and watch them again. I know I would enjoy watching them again, but would I understand it better than I was a kid? Would I think differently of the characters then before? I guess I would know when I have the opportunity to re-watch some of these series again in the future.

If you are a big fan of this decade and would like to see the scans, email me at jadedreams@gmail.com or leave your email in the comments section.

** I don’t really know if anyone is actually reading these posts about the decades, but just in case someone is, since this one took me a while, it is probably going to be a longer time before the next decade gets posted.

5 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Thanks for doing this, it brings back a lot of memories. Being born in the 80s I recognised a lot of the shows mentioned.
義不容情 Looking Back in Anger is one of my favourite series.
天涯歌女 Song Bird is also a classic and I enjoyed rewatching it recently and remembered most of the songs!
You’re right about the error regarding 我本善良 Blood of Good and Evil, Deric Wan does not push Maggie Siu off a train, though she does go blind in the show!
I’m currently re-watching 人在邊緣 The Challenge of Life and I’m surprised how well it stands up.
I also recall loving some of the series mentioned including 他來自江湖 Justice of Life, 盖世豪侠 The Final Combat, 大家族 Big Family and 月兒彎彎照九州 Beside the seaside, Beside the sea.

Jadedreams said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the posts on the decades! Series you watched as a kid are indeed more memorable. I think my favorite decade of series is probably in the third decade since I watched a majority of these as a kid.

When I saw this article special in TVB Weekly, I know I wanted to write something about it so even though it was long, it was a nice experience revisiting past series and themesongs.

Thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this series of posts. Rich content, great information and very entertaining read. My first TVB series is toward the end of this decade (1994), but since then I've had a few opportunities to watch older series such as Looking Back in Anger.

Little Beggar said...

3rd decade is probably the most memorable to me. I remember being immersed in all things TVB at that time. So many good series like Looking Back in Anger and The Breaking Point. Those were top notch modern dramas. I like all the theme songs and sub songs from those series. Cold Blood Warm Heart - incredible cast of young actors and actresses who really made it big.

Unknown said...

Emperor take care 1985 dramas,please d
Show online.