Saturday, November 10, 2007

Dayo Wong and Interview with Stephan Chan on Be My Guest

Be My Guest- Dayo Wong Clip 1


Be My Guest- Dayo Wong Clip 2
Be My Guest- Dayo Wong Clip 3
Be My Guest- Dayo Wong Clip 4
Be My Guest- Dayo Wong Clip 5
Be My Guest- Dayo Wong Clip 6
Be My Guest- Dayo Wong Clip 7
Be My Guest- Dayo Wong Clip 8
***
Honestly, I do not know much about Dayo Wong. When I was young, I vaguely remember he was in a serie call War of Genders with Carol “Do Do” Cheng , and it was a very popular serie, and he was also popular at the time. Then he sort of disappeared from television for a while and came back with To Catch the Uncatchable, and that serie was such a hit, being the highest rated serie of the year beating the acclaimed War & Beauty’s ratings at that time. That serie had a very sad ending, and the HK audience even requested an alternate ending for his character! That serie was that popular at that time, and that was 2004. But I still wasn’t a huge fan of Dayo. For some reason, out of this year, I choose to rewatch To Catch The Uncatchable again, and I find that I understand and enjoyed it more the second time around! And for some strange reason, I grew to really like Detective Mok, and therefore Dayo Wong this second time again.

Then, I got to watch Men Don't Cry (Evil Kin) this year too. Unlike Detective Mok in TCTU, ah Kin is a character that has lots of shades of gray. It’s like you should hate the character, but yet he is funny, so you can’t hate him totally. Then you find out about his background, and then you actually sympathize with him somewhat. And then his character did something really troubling, that made me go, whoa…this is not funny anymore, I can’t root for this character. And then, later on, he gradually becomes a good guy, then later a good guy walking on the borderline. I can’t say the serie is that awesome, but Dayo’s performance and acting of ah Kin was definitely worth watching. He gets to portray many different layers of a character, and he does an excellent job. However, I do noticed some sayings and body gestures similar to Detective Mok in TCTU, but overall, ah Kin’s complexity and progression gives Dayo an opportunity to try acting out a variety of different emotions, compared to Detective Mok in TCTU. Anyway, I hope he gets nominated into Top 5 this year because he does deserve the spot.

Now back to this interview. In the interview, Dayo says throughout the beginning of his career, he opted to become an actor. He would try to look for various loopholes and means to become one, but because he’s not good looking, he never got an opportunity. I must’ve missed how he said he got the role for War and Gender, or he never said anything about it. It would be interesting to know how he got the role. What I don’t get is why Stephen doesn’t ask him now that he is able to become an actor, but yet he doesn’t act that much after the successes of War of Genders and To Catch the Uncatchable. Is it because roles are not offered to him, or he prefers to do stand up comedy more?

Anyway, he did get emotional quite a few times. One time, he was talking about the two of the lowest points in his life in which he contemplated about suicide. One time he didn’t eat for two days, and then the other time was about his ex-girlfriend. I wonder what happened between him and his ex, because he was quite teary when she was mentioned. It seems like he was deeply hurt about what happened with her before. Anyone know anything about that?

A majority of the interview was about Dayo’s stand up comedy shows. I, myself have never seen his comedy shows at all on tv or or in person, but considering Dayo has been performing stand-up comedies for years now, then it must be entertaining to continue for doing it for so long. Dayo says it takes him months to a good part of the year to prepare for one show, and that he doesn’t really earn that much doing them.

Regarding his personal life, he says he’s the type of guy who isn’t the marriage type, but yet he’s not scared if the girl mentions the idea first. He’s not close with his dad since his dad was not in his life since young. He is closer with his mom, and so he speculates that is why he doesn’t mind if women scream at him, but if men scream at him, a fight might happen! And I really liked how Stephen Chan closed the interview asking Dayo if he’s currently in a relationship, and Dayo smiles warmly and says yes. Dayo seems very happy in his current relationship, so best wishes to him and hope he would settle down with a family soon.

After this interview, I tried to look up information on Dayo in English, and unfortunately, there’s not that much. Looking at wikipedia, I was so surprised to learn that he’s born in 1960! That makes him 47 now! He looks like he’s in his late 30s-early 40s on tv!

Overall, Dayo seems very down to earth and sincere throughout the interview showing some humor here and there. I enjoy listening to his responses, and I grew to admire him as an entertainer even more. I like how’s he very focused on his passion to become an actor and entertainer, and how he’s very serious about his work and creativity. Maybe one day I would be able to have the opportunity to attend one of his stand-up shows and be a part of his audience.

Some links to share focusing on Dayo Wong:

Chinese Site with His Latest News:
http://hk.geocities.com/dayo_iceroom/index_dayo.htm

Cute Dayo Stand-Up Comedy Game “Sit up” by Maggie Lau
http://maggiemarket.kizash.com/games/sit_up/


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have yet to watch the interview clip, but I'm really anticipating to seeing it (when I get time after my exams). After Men Don't Cry, i'm just amazed by his acting and chararcter that I want to find out more about him =)

Jadedreams said...

I'm sure you would enjoy watching the interview! Can't wait to see your thoughts when you get to it. :)

Anonymous said...

Finally got to watch it! And nice right up! Sums it quite well..He looked so young in the interview clip XD XD no way does he look 47! lol...he looks like a kid^^;

Really do look deep into his personality while watching the interview clip and i do feel for him about his past relationship and I hope he'll find happiness in his current relationship. It's so true that most women his age would be married by now..age gap is inevitable. besides he loooks so young anyway ^^;

i've never seen any of his stand-up shows either..wonder what they're like!

I was qutie disappointed that there as no mention of "Men Don't Cry" at all..was hoping to get his thoughts on his role, character etc.

I was thinking he's been acting in movies instead of series? Not sure..most of his attention is gone to focussing on his Standup show.

Jadedreams said...

I know! I was in awe when I figure out his age lol. He does look quite young on television, but in some pictures, it does show his age though. I have seen a pic of him while at a Men Don't Cry function, and he did looked his age. Nonetheless, he would always have that certain charm with him! :)

I was also disappointed that he didn't get to talk much about Men Don't Cry or To Catch the Uncatchable. I mainly want to hear him talk about his co-stars (like Ada, Carol -which he did) though lol. Do you purchase the magazine, TVB Weekly? I remember they focused on Men Don't Cry with Dayo, Cecilia, and Dominic Lam several weeks ago I believe (they were on the front cover) in which they talked about their characters and a little about themselves. If you don't have it, I could scan it for you.

From the looks of it at lovehkfilm.com, he was in quite a few movies. I totally don't remember him in Leave Me Alone (with Ekin & Charlene).
http://www.lovehkfilm.com/people/wong_dayo.htm

Anonymous said...

oo..I don't have the TVB Weekly mag, can u please scan it for me? ^^

Dayo looks so much older in Men Don't Cry than on be My Guest lol Maybe its the lighting and all..my dad didn't eve recognise that was Evil Kin.hehehe..

Jadedreams said...

ktvb, do you want me to email you the scans or post them up on my blog? There are 8 pages, including the cover. If I post them up on my blog, I will probably delete them after a week though.

as for Dayo, I think it's because of his hair style. If he cuts it short, he would look closer to his age hehe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Erm .. mayb i m late...It is now near the end of 2008 n 2009 is tmr..n i haf jus abt few weeks ago finished watching men don't cry..Dayo was gd in portraying different facial epressions n so..He was a really gd actor i was awed-struck when i knew his actual age..he looks so young..thought he was in his 30s..

Anonymous said...

YAY. I watched this a while ago on TV. ^^ It was when Men Don't Cry was airing. Rosy Business' Chai Kau, is a bit like Dayo's character in MDC but I don't get really how he didn't shine but Wayne did. I guess MDC was more of a light comedy compared to Rosy Business. :)