Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Kindred Spirit Moments





Kindred Spirit is re-airing again, and there is this article with Lee See Kei and Nancy Sit’s opinion about various moments in TVB Weekly #538 pg. 40-44. I’ll do my best to translate their opinions, but if I get something wrong, please correct me.

///The Most Crying Without End…

Lee See Kei: The moment I remember the most was when my daughter in law, ah Kum (Louisa So) donated her liver to her son, and at the end, she died due to complications. Before she died, the whole family had their farewells with her, and many tears flowed out.

Nancy Sit: After Lap Sung (her son in Kindred Spirit) got out of prison, he felt worthless. So I, being the mom, went to scream at him. Remember that there were about hundred of people around us, and they see us so into the acting, everyone was touched and eyes were teary.

///The Most Nerve-Wrecking….

Lee See Kei: Tzi Ho (Yung Yee’s son) chased the rich girl May May, and finding out that she’s not the Duke’s daughter, he left her. Afterwards, he even kidnapped Lui Fong’s character, pushing him into the ocean. This plot was at its highest peak.

Nancy Sit: When May May (Ma Tai Lo) was preparing to jump off the building moment, we were on a resident’s building filming the entire evening, and when May May attempts a dangerous action, we were so into the filming that we got a complaint against us for disturbing people sleeping.

///The Most Funniest….

Lee See Kei:May May and Law Sung Moon (Michael Tse) were bickering opposites, but later on became a couple. They were always acting mischeviously, at times also acting in ancient costumes. It was very funny.

Nancy Sit: Kindred Spirit has a lot of dinner scenes, but after filming for a while, the food gets cold. And we would like to pick these food items and put them onto this actor or that actor’s bowl, so their bowl would be filled up, and they don’t know whether to eat or not. The audience does not realize it when watching on tv, but we would laugh so much.

///The Most Romantic….

Lee See Kei: Ah hoi (Ben Wong), Choi Yui (Angie Cheung), and Seung Seung (Law Lam?)’s relationship was very touching. The story says Seung Seung gave up her son and have him replace Choi Yui’s dead child. There was a scene in which Ho Yee (Nancy Sit) and I try to convince her not to do it. After this scene, Nancy and I were crying till our hearts were pained.

Nancy Sit: When “Mow Si” and I were dating, we were wearing matching couple outfits, and going up to the mountaintop, beach, couple’s hotspot having a good time. At that time, there were very few middle age couples dating, so “Mow Si” and I were consider an breakthrough.

///The Most Feedback….

Lee See Kei: When ‘Upper class person’ (Sherng Dun Yun) came on the scene, there was a lot of feedback. The audience likes to see how the Upper class person’s in-laws bicker with the Cha Siu Bing’s family. And also May May coining various terms like “Kei Ying”, “Mah Ying”. Going out, there are a lot of people who uses those nicknames.

Nancy Sit: Ah Hoi, Lap Sung, Cha Siu Bing, ah ? in the series were occasionally kidnapped for ransom. Once Siu Man (Winnie Yeung) was held captive by Chi Ho. Everytime there is this plot, a lot of the audience would ask me what the ending would be.

///The Most Representative of Myself…..

Lee See Kei: In Kindred Spirit, with regards to big or small problems, “Sin Yee” plays a part being a moderator, so every acting scene could represent “Sin Yee’s” importance in the family.

Nancy Sit: “How Yi’s” character likes to benefit with small things and is very commanding?, but in the scene visiting Lap Sun in prison, one could see that all she is doing is for her son, having a lot of true kindred feelings within her.

I’m not quite sure what the last one on the magazine is about, so I’m going to skip it. Now for my thoughts on Kindred Spirit. Kindred Spirit is definitely one of TVB classic serie. When I was young, it was a must-watch drama for the family on cable. I think it's the only serie which was actually pretty up to date compared to other series (somehow the series we watch on cable were always two years behind). I think ah Hoi and ah Kwai’s relationship was very romantic and also quite funny. Even when there was a third party, I still supported them as a couple. I’m glad to see they have a good ending together. As for the most memorable, I remember they enacted a stage show with Nicholas Tse as ah Hoi and Seung Seung’s son. Nic’s supposedly really good at making BBQ pork I think, and he was angry at ah Hoi for not being with his mom. I thought that was very pretty interesting since I quite like Nic when he was young.

I pretty much love watching everyone in the Lee Family....from ah fook, to the twins (Kenix & Florence), to the youngest son (Hawick)...but I think my favorite characters had to be ah Hoi (Ben Wong) and of course ah kwai (Angie Cheung). Ah Hoi because he was such a dorky, but good and kind hearted guy....and ah kwai for being fun and outgoing. Joyce Tang also may ah Suet very darling to watch....and May May (Celine Ma Tai Lo) was very iconic also. She was truly the first "ugly" actress in a heavy role, in a TVB serie and not the ones that look pretty, turned ugly type. However, I think she's not that horrible looking, just a little different.

Kindred Spirit is a great family drama. It teaches us to love and care for our families despite having to grow up or go through rough times. I'm glad that TVB made this serie or else I wouldn't have such a wonderful serie to grow up with while growing up as an ABC.

No comments: