Saturday, December 22, 2007

Rumors of Sonija Kwok leaving TVB......

Asianfanatics News: TVB #1 Sister Spot Vacant, Sonija Kwok Will Not Renew TVB Contract


Picture from: Muzi

This is probably last week’s news, but it seems to be one of the popular TVB topics recently, so of course I would have some thoughts. I was quite surprise from reading various posts that people actually like Sonija as an actress and want her to stay at TVB. Since when did Sonija gain so much supporters?

Frankly, I am not a big fan of Sonija Kwok as an actress, but she seems to give me the image that she’s very intelligent and mature (the type who knows what they are doing) person. Because of that, I can never have the image of her as a vile or “slutty” person like the HK media suggests with her stealing Michael Tao away from his wife and all. However, these bad rumors with male costars hurts her image as an actress. It really sucks for her because supposedly she has improved a lot in her recent series from mainland and TVB. I haven’t watched these series, but I saw clips of her in Land of Wealth, and she was indeed more natural than her past performances in Angels of Mission, Where the Legend begins, Family Man, etc.

If she does leave, it’s a big risk, but somehow I think it’s a realistic and smart decision on her part. Due to their promotion of younger actresses and having more veterans coming back to act, would TVB give Sonija more screentime/roles in future series? What is more possible is that TVB is probably going to cast her in more mainland series in the future, so shouldn’t she take advantage of that first and take the opportunity to earn more by herself/another management company?

And well, is it a huge lost for TVB fans if Sonija indeed leaves? Yes, while Sonija is very beautiful, and it would be nice to see her in some future series. However, I’ve never felt that she has tremendous chemistry with other actors and actresses in series. I would say, I like watching her the most with Moses, but their chemistry isn’t that strong either. For TVB actresses, it’s very important to be able to generate chemistry with onscreen partners because they have to pair up with other actors for other series, and two, it’s something that makes a series more interesting to watch. For example, Ron and Kate = very minimal chemistry in The Brink of Law. If they were able to generate more chemistry, it would’ve made their scenes and TBOL even better to watch, instead of dozing off whenever they’re onscreen. And that is how I feel with Sonija in past series…it’s nice if she’s in a serie, but if she’s gone, it doesn’t make much of a difference. Of course my opinion might change after watching her newer series, but that’s then and this is now, so if Sonija leaves TVB, I wish her the best with her career in the Mainland.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is kinda sad to see her leave. I'm not much of her fan, but she is a arite actress. Better than some of the new ones around. at least. Hope she has a bright future ahead of her.

Jadedreams said...

I agree that she is better than some other actresses, but I still don't think it's a huge lost compared to Jessica or Kenix lol. However, I think so far it's only rumors, it has not really been confirmed I don't think.